Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I Got Me Some Religion

Last September I started teaching seminary. For the three people who read my blog but are not Mormons, seminary is basically a scripture study class for high school age kids. This year one of MY kids is high school age, gasp! So I actually volunteered to teach seminary in order to make sure it was available to Meghann. This year we are studying the Old Testament. There are only 2 other kids in the class. We meet every Sunday morning for about an hour and I impress them with my vast knowledge of scripture (that was meant to be sarcastic.)
So I am studying a lot each week for that. So far, as usual, the teacher has probably learned much more than the students. It has been great, all the kids I teach participate and ask questions and we have a good time.
I am also still doing Bible Study with a group of women at the base chapel. Right now we are studying the book of Daniel. There is a lot more to that book than just a group of frustrated lions! We are starting the half of the book that deals with what Beth Moore calls "end-time events." Basically the LAST DAYS. Our first discussion was yesterday and because there are so many denominations in the study the conversation was very exciting. They all agreed to respectfully disagree to some extent. But really, what they all decided was that nobody really knows how the Second Coming is going to occur, so it's best to cover all your bases. I kind of keep quiet. I see the confusion and all the questions left unanswered in the minds of the other women and I am utterly amazed and thankful to know what I know about the gospel of Jesus Christ. It gives me peace.

1 comment:

Lynette said...

Wow...you're teaching seminary, fun stuff!!! My husband teaches seminary every morning at 5:30AM...ARRGGHHH!!! He has a love/hate relationship with seminary. I bet you learn alot though...good luck! So, where do you go after Turkey??