Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Thoughts

There are many thoughts (OK, maybe just one or two) dancing through my mind today as I turn the ripe old age of 37. I'll see if I can remember any of them.
Why am I getting so accident prone? Three weeks ago I slipped in the parking lot after church and totally turfed it. I landed on my butt, but I scraped up my knee. I'm still trying to figure that one out. Then last week I fell UP the stairs and got a huge, gross lump on the same leg . The cool thing about that was that I was carrying a piece of pie upstairs for Doug because he is so high- ranking, and when I fell the pie went flying up in the air and then landed right back on the plate like a magic trick. Then today as I was doing my 'do I accidentally flung the brush across the room, then dropped the curling iron, then I fell out of my slippers. I didn't know you could fall out of slippers.
My other thought is about religion. We are lucky here in Incirlik to be able to meet in the base chapel. Usually, as Mormons we have a building somewhere off base. But here we meet each Sunday from 2-4PM and we get to see people in other congregations as we arrive and as we leave. I love that. I also love that they get to see us. Last Friday was the Air Force Prayer dinner. After we ate, we met in the chapel and there were prayers offered by each faith . We heard from Protestants, Catholics, Muslims, Jews and Mormons. Then the Air Force Chief of Chaplains spoke. It was a great meeting. For those of you who have never been to an LDS service, it can best be described as very reverent. We are quiet, we sing quiet hymns, we only all speak at the same time when we say "Amen" after a prayer. I have been LDS my whole life and so have never been to a service where people in the congregation say out loud what they feel inside during a talk or prayer. It was very fun. I felt the Spirit there, but when I feel the Spirit I may get teary-eyed, whereas the other people say, "Yes, Jesus." Or "Thank you, Lord." It is different from what I am used to, but a good different and something that I am very thankful that I get to experience. I have to add that during his closing remarks, the Base Wing Commander led the whole congregation in the wave. I can honestly say I have never done the wave in church before and it is unlikely that I ever will again. I can't wait until next year's Prayer Dinner.
I'll try not trip as I ponder these thoughts.

5 comments:

Lynette said...

HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY JENNIFER!!! I hope you have a wonderful day, you deserve it!!! And be careful...no more falling out of those slippers! That prayer dinner sounded really neat, I think we should always do the wave at church, it would lift our spirits, right?

Natalie C. said...

Jen, Happy Birthday! I hope you have a wonderful day!

Rochelle Oleson said...

Happhy Birthday Jen!!!!!

Gee I haven't spoken with you since I lived with you when my family was building a house in Utah hummm that was more then a decade ago. anyway your girls are so grown up from the last time I have seen them. (See's how much I get around) Cool pie trick! Teach me that one. I just got my blog up today and saw your blog off of Lynnette's and thought I'd wish ya a happy b-day! Your looking great and what a cute family.

Love to hear from ya, your cuz Rochelle (rosemary's oldest kid)

Jen W said...

Hi Rochelle,
Isn't blogging great? I am so glad you left me a comment. What is the name of your blog? Say hi to your family for me. Let's keep in touch.
Jen

Psyche said...

Jen,
Nice bloggin'. You have embraced your blog and made something of it, and for that I commend you. I can't really even remember the name of my blog. It doesn't get any dumber. Anyway, it's so much fun to see you all there livin' the life in Turkey. The animal guts reminds me of madagascar. Oh how I miss those smelly guts.